Providing The Latest News With Opinions

Free Workshops: Cash for College

Mark DeSaulnier

California State Senator Mark DeSaulnier put out information yesterday inviting California High School Seniors to a free workshop on Cash for College. The workshop will focus on applying for CAL Grant and other financial aid. High School seniors who attend a workshop and apply for a Cal Grant before the March 2nd deadline* could qualify for an extra $1,000 scholarship.

California high school seniors who meet income qualifications and have a minimum gpa of 2.0 are guaranteed financial assistance through the Cal Grant program. These grants do not need to be repaid and may be used for tuition, fees, books and access costs at qualifying public or private California two-year and four-year colleges and universities.

Here are a couple of the workshops in East County:

January 16th
Heritage High School,
Multi-Use Building
101 American Ave., Brentwood

January 17th
Freedom High School
Multipurpose Room
1050 Neroly Road, Oakley

January 26th
Antioch High School
700 W. 18th Street, Antioch

February 4th
Deer Valley High School
4700 Lone Tree Way, Antioch

If you are not sure whether you meet financial-need requirements, apply anyway. The California Student Aid Commission periodically raises the income ceilings depending on the budget, and changes can occur that alter a family’s situation. So, apply anyway. You will not qualify if you do not apply. For information on program qualifications**, visit

* In 2013, the March 2nd deadline falls on a Saturday, so the Cal Grant deadline will be extended to March 4th.
**The California Student Aid Commission provides guidelines to determine whether you are eligible for financial aid; it is not the final determination of your financial need.

Here’s a checklist of helpful information students and parents need to complete the application. Bring any of the following items that apply to you.

  • Student’s Social Security card & driver license (or government issued id)
  • Parent or guardian’s Social Security card
  • If not a U.S. citizen, bring alien registration card; if you do not have an ar card, check out to see if you qualify for California Dream Act financial aid
  • Parent’s Federal Income Tax return or current w-2 forms
  • Records of untaxed income such as tanf, veteran’s benefits, Social Security benefits
  • Student’s w-2 forms, pay records or records of income earned
  • Bank account records or bank statements
  • Records of stocks, bonds or investments
  • Business records
  • If you know the colleges you are interested in attending, bring a list
This workshop is intended to provide information and to assist in filling out applications; it is not an assurance of a grant or scholarship.

Tagged as:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: